7.17.2009

Are you restless like me?


Sleep has been a hard thing to come across for me lately. It seems as if my internal sleep clock is backwards. I tend to become very sleepy while at work, but at night I'm wide awake! Staying up until the wee hours in the morning, and making it very hard to wake up when the alarm goes off at 8am. I tried using valerian root for some time now, but since the bottle is all finished, I'm really trying not to buy another one. I hate relying on a pill to make me fall asleep, even if it is an all natural herb.


So I tried looking up some pictures for visual stimulation, and found some very interesting results! If you type the words "sleepy girl" into the search engine at flickr.com, you will find a very odd amount of girls sleeping on the subways in China and Japan.




There were lots more, but you get the point! I just found it odd. Maybe girls in China and Japan have the same sleep schedule as I do.

The next search I did was for "yawn". I had to change the search to "yawn girl" or "yawn man" because apparently there are a LOT of pictures of animals yawning! Most of them were cats or tigers and just looked like they were screaming though! Like this little guy:


But what a way to make yourself sleepy! I think I yawned 15 times while browsing through the pictures! And I just made myself yawn right now, just typing about it! Hmm, another weird phenomenon, contagious yawning. Why DO we yawn anyways? I know because were tired, but what exactly does yawning accomplish? According to this article, it's because when we are bored or sleepy, our breathing is shallow, and "the sudden intake of oxygen [when yawning] increases the heart rate, rids the lungs and the bloodstream of the carbon dioxide buildup, and forces oxygen through blood vessels in the brain, while restoring normal breathing and ventilating the lungs." But they also state that fetuses in a womb have been known to yawn, when they don't even breath air yet! I guess it's just going to remain a mystery.

Well, as they say, I'm off to never-never land, whatever that may mean to you. To me, it's a sparkly land of magic, fairy-tales, and beautiful scenery, where you never have to grow up. Like in Peter Pan, but with a Fantasia twist. You know, flying ponies and dancing fairies, stuff like that.


I wish you all the sweetest of dreams!


Goodnight!



No comments: